Saturday, December 1, 2012

Advent Calendar: Christmas Tree

Okay, it's the annual Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories time!  I've participated the past three years (2009, 2010, and 2011), and rather than simply re-post, I'm going to link to the older posts, and - when applicable - post about something else that's somewhat related.

The prompt for today is:
December 1 – The Christmas Tree
Did you have a real tree or was it artificial? How big was the tree? Who decorated the tree? What types of Christmas trees did your ancestors have?

I've addressed the first three questions in my post for this date in 2010 (and 2009).  As for the fourth question, last year (2011) I wrote about a Pape family Christmas tree circa 1913-1917.  Check out the picture, as it has my grandfather Paul Robert Pape (1896-1970), his six siblings, and six of his first cousins who had recently immigrated from Germany.  I call it the "Christmas Cousins" picture.

In the historic little town I live in, Granbury, Texas, downtown merchants and local associations decorate trees at each corner of the courthouse square.  One of the trees this year was decorated by local artists:

"The tree's ornaments are part of a 100% fund-raising effort to support art in the Granbury middle schools and ninth grade campus.

'In the Spirit of Giving' 
is the theme of our creative tree.  

The works of art include stained glass, blown glass, glass and metal sculpture, painted wall art and mixed media creativity." 

Yes, those are chairs you see on the tree!  Close-up photos and details of the artwork are available on Flickr.

A silent auction is currently going on, and a live auction will be held at 6 PM tonight.

 © Amanda Pape - 2012 - click here to e-mail me.

The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history 24 different ways during 24 days in December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com

1 comment:

  1. My memory is always of real Christmas trees. The smell, the feel and the tradition. As I raised my son, it was always a real tree. After a couple years in a row where the tree fell or it was the coldest worst night of the season to be outside picking our tree, I finally had to give in to a fake tree. I still wrestle with that thought but I have found the lights still twinkle, the ornaments are full of memories and it can be garnished with the live cranberries strung together to bring joy to our home at Christmas. Plus, where would I put the wrapped gifts if I didn't have a tree? Now that would not be the same. thank you

    ReplyDelete