Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday's Faces from the Past: Karfreitag Holzratschen, Harth, Germany, 1982


During my visit to Germany in April 1982, my German Pape relatives took me sightseeing to nearby towns on Good Friday (April 9 that year).  One area we drove through was Harth, in the southernmost part of the Büren district.  I heard an awful noise and took this picture of the noisemakers, who happily posed for the camera.

My Tanta Lucia and Unkle Karl-Heinz told me that on Good Friday (Karfreitag) in Germany, bells are not rung because Jesus has died.  Before each Mass, children swing the Holzratschen, wooden rattles that make a terrible racket.  This is an old custom of the Catholic Church, to call people to Mass.  

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment