Thursday, March 14, 2013

Those Places Thursday: Büren, Germany

Gebr. Pape Buchdruckerei
  Mauritzgymnasium                                               * Gebr. Pape Buchhandlung







*













On Sunday, March 10, I mentioned that I have kin in Büren, Germany.  Büren is a small town in the district of Paderborn, in North Rhine-Westphalia.  Above is an aerial view taken in the 1970s.  The red arrow points to the Pape Brothers Printing (Gebr. Pape Buchdruckerei) building.  Below is owner Karl-Heinz Pape (1925-1992), my second cousin once removed, in front of it on April 9, 1982 (and yes, it's snowing):


The green arrow in the aerial view points to the Pape family home and bookstore.  It is right off the central marketplace (Marktplatz - here's a live webcam) and main street (Burgstrasse).  You can see it at the left in the picture below, also taken in the 1970s:


And a close-up of the house and bookstore, that I took in April 1982:


The entrance to the family home (which is above the bookstore) is at left in the photo above, and the address is Kapellenstrasse 9.   Below, the Pape family is standing in front of the Gebr. Pape Bookstore (Buchhandlung; Buchbinderei is bookbinding, Burobedarf is stationery), at the corner of Kapellenstrasse and Burgstrasse.  The store is still there today.

This photo was taken in June 1978, when my high school friend Audrey visited my kin.  From left are Karl-Heinz, his son Eberhard, daughter Ulrike, wife Lucia, and son Reinhard.  Son Wolfgang is missing.  Eberhard now runs the print shop.

The blue arrow in the aerial view points to the Mauritzgymnasium, a Jesuit high school.  More on that and the rest of the town in a later post.
collage of (from top), outside and inside of Gebr. Pape Printing card; Bookstore sticker, and (to right) tape for both.


© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

12 comments:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Sammie Siddon. My father was in the Army and was stationed in Buren, Germany(Stockerbush Kaserne) from 1975-1979. I was in high school and had to go to school in Frankfurt and I graduated in 1979. I am constantly searching for pictures of Buren and the high school and dormitory in Frankfurt. I cherish my time in both cities and consider it one of the best times my life. I am writing to you to see if you have any pictures of the military family housing in Buren and Stockerbush Kaserne. If you do not have any pictures of the housing area, maybe, you know of some other resources that might be helpful to me. Both of my sister's met their future husband's there and one of them was married in the church in Buren.

    Thank You,

    Sammie Siddon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sammie! Let me contact some of my extended family that lived in Buren and see if they have anything. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sammie,
      I just stumbled across this post. I was Commander of the HQ of 5th USAAG from 1980-1981. It was co-located on Stockerbush with the 27th Ord Co. I should have some pics from around the Kaserne and the housing area. Interested still? I'm now in Columbia, SC.

      Delete
    3. Hi Sammie, I knew your father in Buren. Your sister Elaine worked with me at the education center. My email serafinelli@twc.com. would love to hear from her.

      Delete
  2. Hi, think your father was the Career Counselor from Louisiana? Sister named Elaine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, neither is the case. Pape is a more common surname than I originally thought! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda! My mother, uncles and grandparents used to live in Kapellenstrasse in front of the chapel. My mother has been telling me about her memories about this time of her life for years and we've just found this post today! Thank you so much for sharing this because she was friends with Wolfgang and though he's missing in the photo it's been so cool for her to see the rest of the family. By the way, we're from Spain and my family used to live there for a few years because my grandfather could find a job as a builder. We've searching for Wolfgang in the internet but couldn't find him. All my family would love to see Büren and its people once again but till we're able we're very happy to get a glimpse with your photos, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, and my apologies for taking so long to reply! I'll see if I can get contact information for Wolfgang from his sister. Please send me an e-mail at chick_a_deedd at yahoo dot com.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I was born in Büren and lived there until I was 21. I went to school with Reinhard Pape from 5 - 10th grade. And I remember purchasing school supplies and other books at the Buchhandlung. So many wonderful memories. I got married to an American service man in 1978 and we left Germany in 1980. We‘ve lived in the state of Maine ever since, but have visited Büren many times, until 2013 when both my parents had passed on. I continue to be in contact with some friends and family and hope to visit again some time. My maiden name is Händel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard from Reinhard's sister Ulrike on Thanksgiving! Next time I message her, I will mention you! Thanks for commenting on my blog!

      Delete
  5. My name is Debbie. I was 9-11 yrs old when my dad was station in Büren Germany about 1975 to 1978. I am not sure where the housing is. We had apartments with a stairwell. The school was at the top of the hill. Does any one know where it was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in Buren. I went to school there at that time. I lived at the very bottom of the hill on the second floor. My sister and Sammy are friends and have pictures.

      Delete