Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Amanda Remembers "Amanda Remembers"

Genealogy guru Thomas MacEntee asked an interesting question today (in honor of Dr. Seuss Day - it's also National Read Across America Day) in his newsletter:

What children's book title would best describe your family history?


Amanda Remembers, by Robert Kraus, was one of the first books I got as a kid.  It was published in 1965, the year I turned age eight.  I picked this picture book out as a child simply because it had my first name on the cover.  Amanda was not a particularly popular given name the year I was born (I was named in honor of Texas Governor Miriam Amanda Ferguson), and there were very few children's books with an Amanda as a character, let alone the title character.

In the story, Amanda's mother has discarded Amanda's two favorite (but worn out) toys, a doll and a stuffed dog, and Amanda recalls memorable adventures with them.  (There is a happy ending.)  I love the soft colored pencil illustrations and the Victorian dress of the characters.  I still have a copy of this book on my shelves.

Anyway, Amanda Remembers is certainly an apt children's book title to describe my family history - or at least, my pursuit of it, especially through this blog.


© Amanda Pape - 2022 - e-mail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment