Sunday, February 6, 2022

Jack Bleidt's First Communion, May 17, 1936

My regular blog reader Aleksandra commented on my last post, which was a photo of my dad, Frederick Henry Pape (1929-2017), on his First Communion Day.  She asked if there were any traditions regarding First Communion Day presents.  

Well, I don't know for sure what my dad got, but it was probably more or less the same as what his first cousin and classmate, John Charles "Jack" Bleidt (1928-1973), who was only nine days younger than him, got.


Above:  May 17, 1936, First Communion Day for Jack Bleidt (age 7).  He is pictured with his grandfather John Pape (1851-1945), and older sister Mary Jane Bleidt Herring (1924-1965).  Photo courtesy cousin Bill.

Below:  Jack's First Communion certificate, from St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church in Chicago, Illinois.  It is signed by its pastor and founder, Father George McCarthy.  Photo courtesy cousin Bill.


Jack received what appears to be a prayer book (it's too small to be a complete Bible) from his maternal grandfather, John Pape.  It is inscribed near the beginning as follows:  "To my dear grandson Jack in remembrance of his First holy Communion, May 17th 1936, from his loving Grandfather John Pape."  Below are some images of the first few pages of the book.


Above and below:  photos from the interior of the book given to Jack Bleidt by his grandfather John Pape for his First Communion Day, May 17, 1936.  Photos courtesy cousin Bill.



I'm pretty sure my great-grandfather John would have given my father the same thing.  Besides being first cousins, just nine days apart in age, and first-grade classmates at St. Margaret Mary Catholic School, at the time of First Communion, Jack's family was living practically across the street from Dad's in Chicago.  Based on the address Jack wrote in the book, the Bleidt family lived at 2084 [West] Lunt Avenue.  Dad and his family lived at 2093 West Lunt.  And in 1936, John Pape was living at 1949 West Lunt, just a few blocks away.


© Amanda Pape - 2022 - e-mail me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for answering my question and mentioning me as well! I am going to post a reply on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete