Friday, October 10, 2014

Mom's 1953 Europe Road Trip: Shopping in Spain

From Mom's Europe trip diary, in the "PLACES VISITED" section: 
October 10, Saturday – MadridSpain
Got up and after breakfast went shopping.  I consider things quite expensive here; at least, they are more than I want to pay, but I did buy a pair of gloves for $2.15* and a man's belt for about $1.50.*  After lunch went and got ticket for bullfight tomorrow -- price 42 pesetas.  Also bought myself a black leather bag and a pair of brown kid gloves.*  Had supper at a restaurant called Baracca (wonderful meal).  Consisted of Baracca consomme, Baracca salad, and a veal chop.  Best food I've had in Europe. 
Edificio Metropolis [Madrid, 30 April 2011] /
Wenjie, Zhang | A Certain Slant of Light / CC BY 2.0
* According to the "PURCHASES" section of the trip diary, my mother purchased a pair of black gloves for 83 pesetas at Jardin de Modas, the man's belt for 50 pesetas at Rocamar, and the black leather purse and brown kid gloves for 595 pesetas and 75 pesetas respectively at Galerias Preciados.

Mom's was staying at the Hotel Florida on the Calle Gran Via, also known as the Spanish Broadway.  The iconic building along this road is the Edificio Metropolis (pictured at left) at the intersection with the Calle de Alcalá, and it's likely that Mom would have seen this landmark, constructed between 1907 and 1911.


This is the 64th in a series of posts transcribing entries in my mother's 1953 Europe Trip journal.


© Amanda Pape - 2014 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment