Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Advent Calendar: Christmas Eve

It's the annual Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories!  I've participated the past four years (2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012), but this year, there are some new prompts, and the sequence has changed for some old prompts used in previous years.  For the latter, in some cases I'll simply re-post, while in others, I will link to the older posts, and - when applicable - post about something else that's at least somewhat related.

The prompt for today (the last day!) is:  December 24 – Christmas Eve.

How did you and your family spend Christmas Eve? Did you attend church services, perhaps a children’s service with a pageant? What about food – was there a special meal or did your family hold an open house so friends and family could stop by?  Share your memories of Christmas Eves gone by.

In 2009-2011, I wrote about Christmas Eve traditions for my parents and in my family of origin.  Last year, 2012, I posted a picture from Christmas Eve 1959.  The one below was taken at Christmastime in 1961 - and it might have been Christmas Eve.  On the back of the photo, in my younger sister Karen's handwriting, it says it was taken at Marian High School (which is now Episcopal High School) in Bellaire (which is surrounded by Houston), Texas.  This was adjacent to what was then the convent for the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament, of which my aunt is a member.  However, at the time, I think she might have been living at the convent at Incarnate Word Academy in downtown Houston.  We may have been attending a Christmas Eve service there.

I'm to the right in the photograph here, and Karen is to the left.  Behind her is our brother Mark.

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history 24 different ways during 24 days in December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.    

No comments:

Post a Comment