Thursday, December 23, 2021

Treasure Chest Thursday: Marine Animal Ornaments

In December 1993, my son Eric's third-grade class was working on a project on marine animals.  I remember Eric doing lots of research on narwhals and hermit crabs.

As it was Christmastime in Lynnwood, Washington (where we lived at the time), I was popping in at Wight's Home and Garden store to see their "Wonderland of Christmas" display of about 35 trees, each decorated with a different theme.  And of course, the ornaments were for sale.  I got many ornaments at Wight's in the years we lived in Lynnwood (1990-1995), as we'd put up a pretty big tree.  I'd typically scout out the trees and come back and get ornaments in the after-Christmas sale.

I must have found these ornaments on some wildlife-themed tree.  I bought them (even though they weren't on sale) just in case Eric and his class needed them for the project.  At the end of it, they were planning a display of their findings, with all the parents invited.  I don't think any of the ornaments were used for that, but for many years after, they hung on our tree.


Above:  The seven ornaments on a tree.  
Below:  Bald eagle - okay, so it's not a marine animal, but it does eat them.



Above and below - whales, I think.  Maybe the one above is a gray whale, and the ones below might be blue whales



Pretty sure these are a salmon (above) and a sea lion (below).



A shark (above) and a manatee (below).



© Amanda Pape - 2021 - e-mail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment