Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not-So-Wordless Wednesday: Charles Guokas Jr. and Gov. "Pa" Ferguson

This is a photograph of my maternal grandfather, Charles Guokas Jr. (1903-1967) and then-former-governor (1915-1917) James Edward "Pa" Ferguson (1871-1944). As previously mentioned, my grandfather was a secretary to Texas Governor Miriam Amanda "Ma" Ferguson, Pa's wife, from June 1933 to the end of her second term in January 1935.

This photograph was taken in downtown Houston, Texas, where my grandfather spent most of his life (with the exception of his years of state service in Austin). You can see the sign for the historic Rice Hotel in the background - which was built on the site of the former capitol of the Republic of Texas. Who knows, maybe these two had just had lunch in its Senate Room, or stopped by its Old Capitol Club for a drink. Not sure what the weird line is across the photograph.

© Amanda Pape - 2010

3 comments:

  1. great picture!!! I love all your stories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda. Thanks for sharing the photo on my blog! It's very interesting to see how our grandparents crossed paths on the same street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Smadar! I love what you are doing with your grandmother's scrapbook - am following that blog now, too!

      I have no idea who took this photo, either. Who knows, maybe your grandmother's photo and my grandfather's photo were taken the same day, by the same person - maybe a roving photographer?

      Delete