Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sentimental Sunday: Elizabeth & Gerrie Guokas

This photo is of my great-grandmother Elizabeth Banavich* Guokas, holding my mother, Geraldine Guokas Pape. I'm guessing that this photograph was taken in spring or summer, 1929, because my mother was born in late 1928, and her grandmother died on November 6, 1929. It's likely that it was taken in Houston, Texas, because they all lived there at the time. In fact, the 1930 census shows my mother, her two siblings, and her parents living with my widowed great-grandfather, Charles Peter Guokas Sr.

*There's a lot of confusion about the spelling of Elizabeth's maiden name. I've seen it on various documents as Banavich, Bonewitz, and Bovits. There's also some confusion about the year she was born - it was either 1872, 1875, or 1877.

© Amanda Pape - 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment