Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Remembering Nani


My maternal grandmother, Sara Melzina Wolfe Guokas Archibald (1907-1997), died 24 years ago on this date.  It's one of the many negative events that makes November a month that I would rather be "NO-remember."

The still image above is from a 16mm film taken by my step-grandfather Wallace Franklin "Archie" Archibald (1896-1970) on August 29, 1960.  My younger sister Karen is on the left, and I am on the right.  Nani, my grandmother, is holding my newborn brother Mark.  The film was made in Houston, Texas - I think, because of the rocking chair (which looks like my dad's), that it was at our home at the time. 7913 Cedel.

I recently had fifteen 16mm films (each ranging from 15-20 minutes long) from July 1958 to August 1965 digitized, as well as ten Hi8 videotapes from May 31, 1993 through March 1, 2003 (each about two hours long).  They were digitized, for FREE (well, except for the cost of postage to send them, and a 1TB portable drive for the digitized files), in the Texas Archive of the Moving Image Film Roundup, where I submitted them on Halloween in 2020


© Amanda Pape - 2021 - e-mail me!

2 comments:

  1. Yes. From October until the end of the year, can just go away as far as I am concerned (except for the days off!) Both my parent birthdays, and deaths of both Grandmothers. But the memories as so precious! Love this photo! Really cool about the the videos! I need to edit all of of my family's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I'm so sorry these are hard months for you too! As for the videos from my childhood, they are mostly boring stuff (birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, us kids playing), but it's been fun to try to identify some of the distant relatives that appear. I was pleased to see that my great-grandmother was in many of them - which may indicate she'd moved back to the Houston area from Louisiana after her last husband died.

      Delete