Friday, November 6, 2020

Friday's Faces From the Past: It's Been Three Years




This image is from a Kodachrome slide I found, among others from Korea (1952-53) and of Pape family in Chicago (1953-1956), in a paper bag in my parents' study after he died rather suddenly three years ago today.  There are no markings on the slide to indicate place or date.  I'm posting it mostly because I like his smile.

I think it may have been taken in Houston, possibly somewhere near Ellington Air Force Base, based on the background, and on the fact that other pictures definitely taken the same day feature a lot of men.  One of the men looks like Major Lloyd Dale Herman Jr. (1927-2019), who was a groomsman in my parents' wedding.  However, there's another photo of him with a woman and baby, and I'm pretty sure his first child was not born until March 1957 (although this photo could have been taken in 1958, after my parents moved back to Texas).


Above:  Dad with three other men - the one on the left might be Lloyd Herman.
Below:  The man who I think is Lloyd Herman with a woman I assume is his wife (Betty Ruth Hall Griffin, married in November 1955 in Houston) and a baby (perhaps his daughter born in Harris County on March 1, 1957).  If that is true, it would date these photos to early 1958 at the earliest.



I wish I'd found these slides sooner, so I could have asked Mom and Dad about them.


© Amanda Pape - 2020 - e-mail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment