Sunday, March 10, 2019

Sentimental Sunday: "Sweetie Pie and Der Herr" - Winona, Minnesota, ABT October 1951

Last year, while cleaning out the study of my late father, Frederick Henry Pape (1929-2017), I found a number of old black-and-white photos from the early and mid-1950s.  Some of them appear to have been taken by his father, my Grandpa, Paul Robert Pape (1896-1970), and may have been sent to my dad during his time in Korea.  Grandpa put numbers on the front of the images, and also wrote captions on the back.  The caption on this one said, "At Winona Minn Sweetie Pie and Der Herr."



The woman in the picture is my aunt, Dad's sister Marilyn Electa Pape Hedger.  I'm guessing Grandpa's nickname for her was "Sweetie Pie."  Grandpa is on the right.  I guess his nickname was "Der Herr" ("The Man" in German).

Another photo with the same background, also taken in Winona, is dated October 1951, so I'm guessing this photo is from the same time.  Marilyn went to college in Winona about this time, so that is probably why they were there.

I'll be sharing more of the images in the future.

© Amanda Pape - 2019 - e-mail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment