Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sentimental Sunday: Fred Pape at Work, in the Early 1960s

Fred Pape at work Jack Frucella Bill Joyner, early 1960s

On the back of this picture, my late father, Frederick Henry Pape (1929-2017), on the left in the photo above, wrote that the other two men were Jack Frucella and Bill Joyner.  They are at work at American General Life Insurance Company in Houston.

John James "Jack" Frucella (1936-1986) was an actuary with American General from 1960 to 1970.  He then moved to Austin, and in 1975 purchased the Hill Country Life Insurance Company in Austin, which he operated until his untimely death in a boating accident on Dad's birthday in 1986. (This information is from an obituary at the Society of Actuaries.)

Billy Norris "Bill" Joyner (1932-2011) was also an actuary.  By 1966, he was working for another insurance company, and had a long career in that industry.

What made me think of this picture was a recent message on Dad's memorial page, from a gentleman named Gerald Bluhm of Katy, Texas.  He wrote,

I just happened to search the web for Fred and saw his obituary. I worked with Fred when I graduated from UH for just over a year. He was a standup guy who treated me very well. I remember a particular Ash Wednesday. Being non-Catholic, I came into the office that day and walked into Fred's office. He had the mark of the cross on his forehead. I said, "Fred, you have a mess on your forehead". He laughed and gave me a lesson on Ash Wednesday. We laughed about that for a long time. Looking at all the family pictures, I would say he lived a very nice life. My sincere condolences to any his family that reads this. 

If Dad was still alive, he would have been age 90 tomorrow.

© Amanda Pape - 2019 - e-mail me!

No comments:

Post a Comment