Thursday, October 10, 2013

Those Places Thursday: Mom & Dad at Frank's Restaurant, Schulenberg, Texas, ABT 1953

Here's another one of my parents' slides from the early 1950s that I scanned recently.  Mom tells me that this was taken at Frank's Restaurant in Schulenberg, Texas, on the way home from a trip by the Rosarian Club (more on that in a future post), probably to the Dixie Dude Ranch (more on that in a yet another future post).  This is probably from 1953 or 1954, before they got married.


The lady you can just barely see at the far right is my mother's friend Norine Moreland Valicek, who was a bridesmaid in my parents' wedding, and later godmother to my sister Karen (and the source of Karen's middle name).

Frank's Restaurant still exists today (it was founded in 1929), albeit in a different location closer to Interstate 10.  From a photo of a photo taken in the interior of the restaurant five years ago, I learned that the postcards below are from the old location from 1940 to 1958, so this is how the restaurant would have looked when my parents were there.

Frank's Restaurant, Schulenburg, Texas, home of the original "Big Jumbo Hamburger" / Boston Public Library / CC BY 2.0

Frank's Restaurant, Schulenburg, Texas, home of the original "Big Jumbo Hamburger" / Boston Public Library / CC BY 2.0

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment