Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sentimental Sunday: Mom & Dad's Honeymoon, September 1954

Fred Pape on the front porch of the Nokoni cabin, Grand Lake, Colorado, September 1954
Recently I scanned a number of color slides belonging to my parents.  These two are from 59 years ago - their honeymoon in Colorado.

After they married in Houston, Texas, on September 11, 1954, they drove to Austin, and spent the night there.  They ate at Jaime's Spanish Village.  They spent one night on the road in Pecos in west Texas, and got to Denver the day after that, where they spent a couple nights. Then they drove through Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, and stopped in Grand Lake on the west side of the park.  They stayed at a cabin on the lake there for a number of days.  The photo above is of my father, Frederick Henry Pape, on the front porch of the cabin.  More about this place in a future post.

My mom also remembers visiting Grand Junction, Aspen (a place she really wanted to see), a town in Colorado "with a prison" (probably Cañon City), and Colorado Springs.  Mom says the photo of her below was taken on a stream somewhere near Aspen.  They drove home along the eastern part of New Mexico, stopping to visit Carlsbad Caverns National Park.  Their road trip honeymoon took about two weeks in all.
Gerrie Guokas Pape, somewhere near Aspen, Colorado, September 1954


© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! GREAT pictures. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I especially love the picture of my dad. And it's fun to see my mom so adventurous, climbing down (and up!) on those rocks!

      Delete
  2. I just love these colored slides! We were married in Estes Park...such a beautiful part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I can't believe how great the color is after 59 years. It *is* SO pretty in that area. I have been to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park too (future post coming on that), but not Grand Lake. I knew my parents went to Colorado for their honeymoon but I'd never asked them for details before and didn't realize we'd been to some of the same places.

      Delete