Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Travel Tuesday: 1930s Corpus Christi Postcards

Given that family members from both my and my husband's families were living in Corpus Christi in the late 1930s,  I thought it would be fun to post some vintage postcards from my collection from that location and era.
Greetings from Corpus Christi Texas - Genuine Curteich-Chicago "C. T. Art-Colortone" Post Card - 9AHi688 (1939)
Artesian Park, Corpus Christi, Texas - Genuine Curteich-Chicago "C. T. Art-Colortone" Post Card -5A-H2218 (1935)
Breakwater Walk, Corpus Christi, Texas -
Genuine
Curteich-Chicago "C. T. Art-Colortone" Post Card -7A-H1197 (1937)
"Silver King" or Tarpon, Caught at Corpus Christi, Texas - 
Genuine Curteich-Chicago "C. T. Art-Colortone" Post Card -5A-H2220 (1935)

All of these postcards were manufactured by the Curt Teich Company of Chicago, Illinois, on linen cardstock (which gives them the lovely grain).  The Curt Teich Archives has posted a guide to dating their cards, which is actually rather easy given that the company used a very specific numbering system from 1922 on.

I picked up all of these postcards at antiques stores in my town's courthouse square, just half a mile from my home.  All were in mint condition with no writing on the back.  The postcard at the very top looks like "Corpus Christi Texas" was handwritten in.  The pictures look rather generic, like they'd be appropriate for any Gulf Coast town - Galveston, Tampa, etc.  :)


© Amanda Pape - 2012 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment