Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday's Faces From the Past: Archie and Millie, ABT 1946 - Using an Ad to Help Date a Photo


The photo above is of my step-grandfather, Wallace Franklin "Archie" Archibald (1896-1970), and my grandmother, Sara Melzina "Millie" Wolfe Guokas Archibald (1907-1997).  I'm not sure where it was taken (although it's pretty likely it's Houston), or when - but the poster visible in the right of the photograph gives a clue.

I did a search using phrases that I could read on the poster:  "happy birthday," "we know," and "always buy," and came up with this ad from the April 1946 Ladies Home Journal:


The poster in the photograph looks like a simpler version of the advertisement that could be placed in store window displays.  In this case, it helps me feel pretty confident the photo of "Archie and Millie" was taken about 1946.


© Amanda Pape - 2015 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment