Sunday, September 16, 2018

Sentimental Church (Record) Sunday: St. Vincent de Paul, Chicago: Interior, Stained Glass II

Two weeks ago I wrote about the exterior of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church in Chicago, where my Massmann great-grandparents, Frederick Henry Massmann, 1875-1948, and Elizabeth Regina Dienes Massmann, 1876-1946, were married on June 5, 1900Last week I started writing about the interior, specifically, the stained glass windows.  This is the second of three posts on that topic.

The German baroque windows were obtained from Franz Mayer & Company of Munich, Germany and installed after 1900 - so they weren't there when my Massmann great-grandparents were married. 

The photos that follow are all from the south end of the church, on the east and west sides (click on all photographs to make them larger).  A picture of a large window depicting a scene from the life of Jesus Christ is followed by a photo of the two smaller windows just below it.  Those smaller windows have angels holding a banner with relevant New Testament verses.  The verses aren't always completely punctuated, and are followed by the citation (book, chapter as a Roman numerals, and verses).

East side, third from south end - Jesus in the Temple as a youth:



They found Him in the Temple  I must be about my father's work  He went down with them and came to Nazareth and was subject to them Luke II 46 49 51



East side, second from south end - St. Peter:



Thou are Peter and upon this Rock I will build my Church. I will give to thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven.  Matt XVI. 18. 19.  Feed my lambs.  Feed my sheep John XXI. 16. 17.



West side, second window from south end - The Transfiguration:



He was transfigured before them  There appeared to them Moses and Elias talking with Him  And lo, a voice out of the cloud saying this is my beloved Son, hear ye Him  Matt XVII 2 3 5



East side, closest to south end - Jesus' charges to his apostles:



Receive ye the holy Ghost  Whose sins you shall forgive they are forgiven them  John XX 22 23  Going therefore teach ye all nations and behold I am with you all days  Matt XXVIII 19  He that heareth you heareth Me  Luke X 16



The other two windows on the west side, south end (I was unable to get good individual photographs of them) are of the Wedding at Cana (on the left in the photo below, closest to the south end) and the Last Supper (third from south end and on the right in the photo below).



One more post on stained glass windows, then I will write about the many altars, other statuary, Stations of the Cross, and paintings in the sanctuary.


© Amanda Pape - 2018 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment