Monday, September 7, 2015

Military Monday: Battle Order for the Night of 8 February 1953

About a month ago, I received the following e-mail:

Thank you for posting the Korean War photos of your Dad, 1st Lt. Fred Pape! My Dad flew B-26s in that same squadron, 1952-53. But he did not take any photos. Today, I Googled "37th Bomb Squadron The Royal Bengals" and discovered your photos, as well as additional information, photos, etc. 
Dad also flew B-25s in WWII and did take some photos then, I'm constructing a family history for my sons and wanted to include a section about Dad's Korean War service. 
Best Regards, Carl Lindberg Jr.

While I didn't have any photos where a Lindberg was named, and Dad did not recognize the name, I did look among the papers Dad had saved from his military service and found this battle order for the night of 8 February 1953 (click on the photo to enlarge it):


My dad and his usual pilot, Milton Royles, were listed first in the battle order (enlargement below).  But fifth on the list was a Lindberg:


Milt and Dad also served as head of night operations and duty officer the following evening:


I sent a scan of the battle order to Carl Lindberg Jr. and received this reply:
Thank you!  My sisters and I really appreciate your extra efforts to search for a mention of our Dad. I can state that that "Lindberg" is our father.  I have one other bit of information that names Airman Vandevroon as Dad's gunner!
...In history, the artifacts and records developed by Korean vets is much lower that those of similar experience from WWII.  If you are interested, you can check out Dad's WWII B-25 outfit displayed in a website built by on of the son of one member. This link begins with my father's info, and it is possible to explore further into the website. See it at:  http://www.warwingsart.com/12thAirForce/lindberg.html

Carl kindly agreed to let me post this picture of his father from the website:

"This is B-25J pilot and flight leader Carl Lindberg in his main aircraft- Panchito." - photo courtesy Carl Lindberg Jr.

I encourage you to visit the site linked above, as there are other interesting photos from Lindberg's World War II service, as well as a link to his obituary.


© Amanda Pape - 2015 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment