Thursday, August 8, 2013

Those Places Thursday: Nana and Grandpa Pape at Trout Lake, August 1969


These are my paternal grandparents, Paul Robert Pape Sr. (1896-1970) and Elizabeth Florence Massmann Pape (1902-2000) in late August, 1969.  According to my cousin Beth Streff Malone, they were celebrating their September 3 anniversary, and are on the porch of a cabin called Shoreview, now gone, at the Trout Lake Club at Diamond Point, New York, in the Lake George area in the Adirondacks. The Streff family (my dad's older sister, her spouse and their descendants) have a cabin (now called Summerset) at Trout Lake Club as well.

My family of origin was invited up at this time too, but we were unable to go.  There were seven of us, and we would have had to drive, and school started at home in Texas the day after Labor Day, and we would not have been home in time.  I wish we could have gone, though, because my grandfather died of lung cancer the following April.

Families have been going to Trout Lake Club (aka TLC) for years.  The "season" is June through September.  The Streffs (now including grandkids and great-grandkids) now all try to go there the same week in July.  This year, besides Summerset, they apparently took up 11 other cabins.  Dad says my aunt and uncle will be there through Labor Day.

Here's a map (below) of the facility:


Hoping that I can make it there some day!

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment