Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter 1973: 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Pets - Sentimental Sunday

Easter, April 22, 1973:  kneeling, Brian, Bismarck, Mark;
standing:  Karen, Mary, Amanda (Mom made our dresses).
In the backyard of our home at 8015 Sharpview, Houston, Texas.
The prompt for Week 17 of 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History is Pets.

Did you have any pets as a child? If so, what types and what were their names? Do you have pets now?

I should start this out by confessing that I am not an animal lover.  Apparently my parents really aren't either - we didn't get a pet until I was 15 and my youngest sibling was 7.  Dad had various dogs growing up, but I don't think Mom had any pets.  We all hate cats.

My parents got a purebred basset hound puppy in the summer of 1972.  We named him Bismarck.  Sadly, he died pretty young, but my parents got another purebred basset hound puppy in late 1976, that we named BarneyBarney lived a long time, until just before my father retired in 1994.

My ex-husband had a purebred Belgian sheepdog named Keena when we married in 1983.  She had puppies and we kept one that I named Cascade's Rio Frio de Tejas, aka Texas.  Keena died of cancer in spring of 1991, and Texas of unknown causes a couple years later.  We then got a bare-eyed cockatoo named Genius, but that's a story for another day.  Don't have and don't want any pets today.

Happy Easter, everyone!

© Amanda Pape - 2011 - click here to e-mail me.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to here you say that...I am the same way. I did not have pets as a child because my Dad and I are allergic. I like dogs okay...but would not want one. NO CATS. Everyone else at the library is such an animal lover, it is since to know a kindred soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy. My biggest problem with pets is that, with the ex, I was the one who did all of the work. Mark would like a dog but understands why I don't want one. You won't catch me volunteering to pet-sit for any of our co-workers!

    ReplyDelete