Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Advent Calendar: December 23

December 23 Prompt:
Christmas Sweetheart Memories-


Do you have a special memory of a first Christmas present from a sweetheart? How did you spend your first Christmas together? Any Christmas engagements or weddings among your ancestors?


I first met my sweetie 30 years ago, in 1979. That Christmas, I believe he gave me the large dark ring at the top in the pictures below, because the pictures are cropped out of larger photos taken in January 1980. The ring was sterling silver with a large malachite stone in an unusual shape. I wore it for years, until the stone fell out somewhere.

The photo at the top of this post is of his gift to me in 1980 (I think). It's a brown leather Coach bag that I STILL use today.

The photo below is of me in my sweetie's Christmas gift from 1981: a gorgeous angora green sweater dress. I remember wearing it to a New Year's Eve party that year.

My parents say they spent their first Christmas together (1954) in an apartment on Irving Way in Houston, Texas, that was "crawling with bugs." Dad was still stationed at Ellington Air Force Base. He was released from the service in April 1955, and then my parents moved to Evanston, Illinois, where they lived until I was about 9 months old, moving back to Houston early in 1958.

I'm not aware (yet) of any Christmas weddings or engagements in my families.

This is post 23 in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Geneabloggers.com

© Amanda Pape - 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment