Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sentimental Sunday: It's National Cousins Day!


About a month ago, I was at the Shelton Family Reunion in Verda, Louisiana, for descendants of Levi Marion Shelton (1863-1941) and Sarah Ann Spikes Shelton (1871-1935), my great-great-grandparents on my mother's side.  Just before everyone left, group photos were taken of descendants of various of Levi's and Sarah's children.

The photo above is of descendants of Euna Ann Shelton Thompson (1905-1959), the ninth of Levi's and Sarah's twelve children (nine of who survived to adulthood).  I did not get to meet everyone, but I can tell you that three of the five women seated in the front are Euna's three surviving daughters, my first cousins twice removed.  The one with the cane is Lemora Thompson Stroud. The one with the little one in her lap (her great-granddaughter Victoria Davis, my third cousin once removed) is Garnell "Nell" Thompson Doherty. The one in yellow next to her is Shirley Thompson.  These three ladies took me under their wings, and I spent a lot of time with them the rest of the day, especially Nell.

Nell's surviving daughter Phyllis Doherty Holmes (my second cousin once removed) is standing behind her.  Standing next to Nell is her granddaughter, Phyllis' daughter Sara Holmes Davis (my third cousin).  Folks in this picture are likely similar levels of cousins (and their spouses), so I think this is a perfect picture to post for National Cousins Day, July 24.

© Amanda Pape - 2016 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment