Historical Marker Text for Somervell County Courthouse:
"Built 1893. Late Victorian style. Native limestone construction.
County was organized in 1875 and named for General Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), Texas soldier, colonist, and statesman.
Court was first held in an old store across road from Barnard's Mill. A log cabin (1 block w) was used later. Third courthouse (first on this site) was finished in 1882 but burned in 1893, along with many valuable records. Present structure has a fireproof vault.
Registered Texas Historic Landmark - 1963"
photo © Amanda Pape - 2010