Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sentimental Sunday #2 - Birthday Memory from Dad

Today I received this lovely e-mail from my dad:

I can still remember the night you were born. Your mother and I went for a walk per doctor's suggestion. It was cold and blustery. Shortly after we got back to the apartment your mother started getting pains which she thought were gas pains. I called your Aunt Betty and she told your mother to get up and walk around for a couple of minutes. If the pains did not stop call the doctor. We went to the hospital and soon after you were born.

Next morning Aunt Betty called. I told her your mother had a nine pound and two and half ounce gas pain.

Hope you have a nice day. Love, Dad

Aunt Betty is Dad's sister, and she is a nurse. I was born at 2:31 AM on April 4, 1957, at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, Illinois. Mom's labor lasted about two and a half hours. The photo above of me and Dad (Frederick Pape, age 28) was taken later in the month at my parents' home at 2059 West Touhy Avenue in Chicago.

© Amanda Pape - 2010

4 comments: