Wednesday, March 10, 2010

(Not So) Wordless Wednesday: The Moore Sisters, 1929

This lovely photo is of four of the six Moore sisters, taken in the summer of 1929 in Marlow, Oklahoma. The one on the far left is the youngest, my mother-in-law (who I sadly never met), Jewel Moore Gresham (1914-1994). Next is Audie Ruth Moore Cook (1911-1969), Beulah Mabel "Mabel" Moore (1910-1932), and Ruby Clayton Moore Albillar (1908-1967). Not in the photo are Velma Moore, who died in 1910 at age 7 from diphtheria, and the then-oldest living sister, Ivis Moore Mew (1905-2004), who in 1930 was working as a nurse at Spohn Hospital in Corpus Christi, Texas. She was the first to enroll in the Spohn School of Nursing in 1926.

There is a lot of information available about this family thanks to my husband's first cousin, the son of the oldest and only brother of these sisters, Thomas Gurth Moore (1902-1935). I hope to relay some of these interesting family stories in future posts.

© Amanda Pape - 2010

6 comments:

  1. This picture is a masterpiece, they all look so very beautiful. I like their hairstyle which is all the same, very smart and elegant looking.
    Preserve this picture and pass it to the next generation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture. I love the 1920-1930 photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sanjay, Holly, and Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am did you write a book on Tandy Clayton moore? I am so happy I found your writings and these pictures! Clayton Moore is my great uncle I couldn't find anything on while I was looking on the moore side of my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't write a book about him, but I have written about him in this blog, and my husband's first cousin Thomas Clayton Moore (Tandy's oldest grandson) as written about him in his unpublished family history, "Heroic Lives of Ordinary People." Thanks for commenting!

      Delete