Friday, January 5, 2018

Mom "in backyard at 916 W. Gardner"



In the process of helping my parents move, I found some photos from my mother Geraldine's high school days at Incarnate Word Academy in Houston, Texas.  Here is one that really has nothing to do with school, other than having a girl who might be one of Mom's classmates in it.  The photo is labeled on the back with names and the words "in back yard at 916 W. Gardner."

From the left are my aunt and Mom's sister, Jo Ann Guokas, Barbara Alice Parker Bruder (1929-1999), and my mother Geraldine Margaret Guokas Pape.  Also in the photograph are "Duchess and her [six] pups."

I wasn't familiar with the 916 W. Gardner address in Houston, Texas, as being associated with my family - but sure enough, I found listings in the 1948 Houston city directory for my maternal grandfather Charles Guokas at that address (he was manager of Park-Ur-Car).  My mother also had her own listing - "student U of T."  The two-bedroom house, built in 1926 in the Greater Heights area, has been well-maintained (and updated) over the years.  In the photo above, you can see the house next door (at 912 W. Gardner) in the background, and the door to the detached garage for 916 is on the far right.


© Amanda Pape - 2018 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment