Wednesday, November 1, 2017

(Not-So-) Wordless Wednesday: Astros Fan Since 1970



My hometown baseball team, the Houston Astros, just won its first-ever World Series tonight, November 1, 2017.  The team has been in existence (originally as the Colt .45s, through the 1964 season) since 1962.  At some point (definitely by 1970, when I was in middle school), the team partnered with one of the local newspapers, the Houston Chronicle, to award two tickets to three games to students who had straight A's on their report cards during a particular grading period.  Smart move on their part; I think that created a number of fans at a young age.  I can still remember listening to Astros games on my radio at home, and while recovering from an appendectomy in the summer of 1972.  For a while, I had a crush on third baseman Doug Rader.


© Amanda Pape - 2017 - click here to e-mail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment