Thursday, April 6, 2017

Treasure Chest Thursday: Another Painting by Aunt Gret!

I'm so excited!  I set up some alerts on eBay, and a few weeks ago, this turned up:




It's a framed watercolor painting of Little Miss Muffet done by my great aunt, Margaret Anna "Gretchen" Reis Pape (1886-1947)!  Here is an enlargement of her signature:




Even better, when you turn the painting over, you find this written on the backing paper:




It reads, "Little Miss Muffett [sic] - by Gretchen Reis Pape and framed by Lee John Pape."  Lee is Aunt Gret's husband, my great uncle Leo "Lee" John Pape (1893-1979).

Of course I will be hanging this up in my house, along with the now-framed drawing by my architect first cousin twice removed, Ewald Theodore Pape (1894-1976).


© Amanda Pape - 2017 - click here to e-mail me.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! Thanks for commenting, Tracy!

      Delete
    2. This is an absolutely wonderful painting. I am so excited to see how many you have been able to uncover since your first post about her 6 or so years ago. We can see her progress as a painter especially in the whimsical faces over the years of those we know. I am really glad you were able to get it in your collection. Congrats...who knew? I hope some more crop up !

      Delete
    3. Awin, I hope so too! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete