Monday, September 15, 2014

Mappy Monday: Mom's 1953 Europe Road Trip: The Autobahn

From Mom's Europe trip diary, in the "PLACES VISITED" section:

September 15, Tuesday – Road between Soltau and Giessen, Germany

Drove through Hanover to where we caught an autobahn.  At one time we were within 5 miles of the Russian occupation zone.  Left the British zone and entered the American zone.  It was heavenly to see Americans and realize that if we got into difficulty someone would be able to understand us.  Drove over autobahn until we left it at Giessen to spend the night. Had a gay time flirting with G.I.s on the highway.  Turned on radio in car and actually heard an American voice! Wonderful feeling.  Spent night in a hotel operated by a W. Pape.* 


I haven't posted any maps for a while, so it's time to catch up.  The map at left, from Lillehammer, Norway, to Kungsbacka, Sweden, covers the travels for September 9 and 10.

The map below, from Kungsbacka, Sweden, to Kolding, Denmark, covers September 11, 12, and 13.

The map at left here, from Kolding, Denmark, to Soltau, Germany, covers the travel on September 14.  This day was spent entirely in the post-war British Zone of Occupation.

The map at the bottom of this post, from Soltau to Giessen, Germany, covers today's (September 15) travel.  After picking up the autobahn (probably A7) at Hanover, they would have continued in the British Zone of Occupation until just before Kassel - and that's also about where they would have passed within 5 miles of the Russian (Soviet) zone - before entering the American Zone of Occupation.


* According to the "HOTELS STOPPED AT" section of the trip diary, my mother and her friends stayed at the Hotel Hindenburg in Giessen, Germany. Her comment that it was operated by a W. Pape is interesting.  She was dating my father, Fred Pape, at the time.  The operator of the Hotel Hindenburg could very well have been related.  My great-grandfather John Pape emigrated from Bödefeld, a small village which I've marked on the map.


This is the 39th in a series of posts transcribing entries in my mother's 1953 Europe Trip journal.









© Amanda Pape - 2014 - click here to e-mail me.

2 comments:

  1. I think you need to go in person and recreate this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish, Claudia! However, my nephew is planning a trip to Europe and I know he has been reading this series - I hope it gives him some ideas. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete