Monday, January 20, 2014

Motivation Monday: Family Tree Wall--Finished!

This past long holiday weekend, I made a quick overnight trip trip to my parents' new home to finish the project I started on New Year's Eve:  a "family tree" wall with old family photographs of my parents and ancestors.  Here is the completed project:


The idea was that my parents are in the center, and on either side of them are photos of their parents, then, moving outward, their grandparents, great-grandparents (if photos were available), and so on.

It's hard to photograph though, being in a hallway, so above is a closeup of the section (the left-hand side) with my parents and my mom's side of the family, and below is the section (the right-hand side) with my dad's side of the family.

There was one photo I really wanted to hang up that just wouldn't fit in the limited space I had available for the family tree.  That went on a small hall wall that runs perpendicular to the family tree.  It's a photograph of my Pape great-grandparents and their seven children (including my grandfather) taken about 1910, as well as a rendition of the Pape family coat of arms painted by my German cousin Wolfgang Pape.  They are pictured below:

I've already posted nearly all of the images on these walls in this blog - but I see a couple I haven't done yet!  I may use these walls as a reminder for the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge - in which I'm already woefully behind.  I can count at least 47 ancestors (direct and collateral) in these photos!  I also find this wall motivating in terms of the number of ancestors of whom we are fortunate to have photographs.

© Amanda Pape - 2014 - click here to e-mail me.

4 comments:

  1. Love this idea and has been a goal of mine for my own home for a very long time. You have inspired me to get my wall started too! Your ancestor wall came out wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gini! Good luck with your project!

      Delete