Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sentimental Sunday: Family Photo, Early 1964

Pape-Guokas Family, early 1964
Adults from left: Fred Pape, Barbara Glaze Guokas, Sister Rita (Alice) Malone, Sara Wolfe Guokas Archibald, Sister Jean Marie (Jo Ann) Guokas, Geraldine Guokas Pape, Charles Guokas III.  Kids from left: Mark, Amanda, Karen & Brian Pape

I brought home a number of photos to scan after visiting my parents a few weeks ago, and this is one I especially like.  It shows my grandmother, Sara Wolfe Guokas Archibald (1907-1997), with her three children, their spouses, and four of her five grandchildren.  My youngest sister, Mary, is not yet born, yet Mom does not look too pregnant with her, and based on the size of brother Brian, I think this photo was taken in the first half of 1964, probably late spring or early summer.

This photo has two people who haven't been pictured in my blog before.  Barbara Ann Glaze (1934-1980) was my Uncle Charles Guokas' (1927-1999) first wife.  She was born in Tyler, Texas, on May 7, 1934, the daughter of Frank Glaze and Fairy Belle Baker.  She married Charles in 1962.  They had no children, and Barbara passed away from cancer on March 25, 1980.  She is buried at Rose Hill Cemetery in Tyler.

Sister Rita Malone (who has her arms around me in the photo) was born Alice Mary Malone about 1898 in Ireland, the daughter of John Malone of Belline, Piltown, County Kilkenny.  A teacher, she arrived in New York City on the Celtic from Liverpool, England, on May 27, 1921, bound for the Incarnate Word Convent in Houston, Texas.  She became a naturalized citizen sometime before 1930.  She served at St. Joseph's Catholic School in Bryan, Texas, with my aunt, Sister Jean Marie Guokas, in the early 1950s.  She was present at many of our family gatherings in the 1960s.

© Amanda Pape - 2013 - click here to e-mail me.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! After writing this post, I saw that 1964 was written on the back, so I know I'm right about the year. :)

      Delete